From: Ben Domenico <Ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Subject: CF-netCDF standardization update
To: CF-netCDF SWG <CF-NetCDF-1.0.SWG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

With no CF-netCDF session at the Brussels OGC TC meeting, there has not
been a lot of public progress on the CF-netCDF standardization work, so it
is time to re-invigorate the effort for the coming new year.   The March TC
meeting in Austin, Texas (a state in the southwestern region of the US.)
will be an important one for CF-netCDF.

There is new information on a couple issues that have been troublesome for
us in the past.   One is the relationship of our work to OPeNDAP and HDF
standards.   As most of you know OPeNDAP, Inc. is now a full voting member
of the TC so we can work directly with them in the context of the OGC TC.
 HDF is also important for us because a profile of HDF5 is the encoding
form for netCDF4.  A recent email exchange between Aaron Braeckel and Carl
Reed have uncovered a very hopeful avenue for us to pursue for that
component of the CF-netCDF standards process.

Below are relevant excerpts of an email exchange that describes an approach
to consider:

Aaron to Carl:

The NetCDF 4 data format is built on a NASA standard: HDF5.  Unless there
have been developments I am not aware of, OGC cannot reasonably take
ownership of the HDF5 standard.  The reasonable thing seems to be for OGC
to own and operate NC4 and NASA would continue to own and operate HDF5.
 Could the OGC NetCDF 4 standard document reference a specific version of
the NASA HDF 5 standard, much as OGC standards reference specific versions
of XML, XML schema, and other external encoding standards?

Carl's response:

The short answer is yes. The only issue could occur if you wanted to move
NetCDF 4 into the ISO process. They might take exception but then we could
use the PAS process.

A big thanks is in order to Aaron and Carl for the clarification.  This is
an area where rapid progress will be very valuable.  It complements our
draft specification for the netCDF Enhanced Data Model (aka the netCDF4
data model) and provides a path for standardizing both the data model and
encoding for netCDF4.

Discussion of these issues will be important at the Austin meeting, But we
have considerable ongoing initiatives to attend to as well.  I'll append
the summary of the CF-netCDF session from the TC meeting in Boulder last
September as a reminder of the outstanding issues and I'll attach the
netCDF Enhanced Data Model Extension Specification that was drafted before
that meeting.

Enough for now.  I just want to get our SWG (mainly me) back on task so we
can begin addressing the many important opportunities in time for the
Austin meeting.

Happy New Year!

*CF-netCDF SWG Session at the September 2011 OGC TC Meetings in Boulder*

*Agenda*

The agenda consisted of:

   1. CF extension to the netCDF core standard (Stefano Nativi)
   2. CF-netCDF extension to the WCS core standard (Stefano Nativi)
   3. Enhanced Data Model extension to the netCDF core standard
   (Ben Domenico)
   4. Uncertainty model for netCDF-CF (Lorenzo Bigagli and Stefano Nativi)
   5. Determine how to deal with errors in existing netCDF binary standard
   noted by Simon Cox (see next slide)

Item 5 was taken care of in brief discussions with Carl Reed and Simon Cox
outside the SWG session.   They both agree that the changes are not
substantive, so the typos can be corrected in the existing spec and a
phrase can be inserted clarifying that Requirement 1 is a special type of
requirement, namely, a dependency.

The presentations and draft documents are available at:

https://portal.opengeospatial.org/index.php?m=projects&a=view&project_id=82&tab=2&artifact_id=45016

*Issues*

A couple additional issues came up during the discussion

   - There is a need to register a mime type for netCDF with IANA.  The
   question is whether to try to come up with all the modifiers (e.g.netCDF
   -3, netCDF-4, netCDF-CF,…) before submitting request.   The sense of the
   group is that a base mime type necdf should be registered with modifiers
   for netCDF-, netCDF-4, CF-netCDF, etc.
   - With the new modular approach to specifications, OGC is creating a bit
   of a Humpty Dumpty Problem of having too many modules in specs, too many
   conformance classes within modules, etc.  As a consequence, potential new
   users can be overwhelmed.  It isn't always clear how to assemble fragments
   into a coherent, working whole.   Primers with an overall overview are a
   help by not a solution.  One new possibility is to emphasize the need for
   overview information in Profile specs where the application to a particular
   community is documented.

*Action Items* (all internal to the SWG)

   - Make non-substantive edits to existing netCDF binary encoding spec.
    See note in Agenda above.  (Ben Domenico)
   - In the CF Extension to netCDF core, some items that are optional
for CF are
   mandatory in the proposed OGC specification.  A list of these items will be
   circulated with the call for comments. (Stefano Nativi)
   - The CF-netCDF overview and planning documents should indicate that
   XML-encoding is addressed in CF-netCDF extension to WCS. (Ben Domenico)
   - Discussion paper for netCDF uncertainty conventions will be captured
   in a discussion paper for next TC.  Will include netCDF3 and netCDF4
   options and will pursue with CF conventions community in parallel
   (Lorenzo Bigagli)

*Motions*

There were no motions at this SWG