Re: [galeon] plan for establishing CF-netCDF as an OGC standard

Hi Folks

I really think it's important to distinguish between CF and netCDF in this
discussion ...

Two elements follow, negative, then positive:

<moreWetBlankets value="netcdf">

Without any collusion with Andrew, I was already thinking along the same lines.

I was initially fairly enthusiastic about this idea, in private email I stated
the following (in regard to an early version of this idea):

>Anyway, a quick take on this is that our CF white paper talked about
>separating the information >content from the netcdf serialisation. OGC might
>provide a suitable venue for the former, I doubt >that it's appropriate for
>the latter.

The point of the last sentence is that, unlike Microsoft, if we go into an
external standardisation process, we should expect that process to make
changes. Do we really want that for netcdf, given the number of existing
implementations?

If we don't, then if OGC rubber stamps existing practice, then what have we
achieved (with all the effort)?  Well, we have achieved
- a defined encoding (oops, we have one of those).
- a badge (well that's useful sometimes, especially for dealing with
governments, but NASA carries some cachet, even over here),
- publicity into new communities (ah well, that is important ... getting more
people using netcdf has to be a good thing, and realistically OGC talks to the
parts of the body that NASA can't/doesn't reach - with apologies to a well
known beer advert).

So is this really just about publicity? Are there other ways of achieving that
which would require less community effort? (Sometimes I think standardisation
efforts are for their own sakes. Yes I'm a big supporter of standardisation
processes, but not for everything, and any given entity doens't have to carry
everyone's standardisation badge).

</morewetBlankets>

<cuddlyThoughts value="CF">

I still think the semantic encoding concepts could well be split out, and they
do fit nicely alongside other OGC type activities.

What we might get is a process for advancing CF and more recognition that the
work done on *advancing* CF is worthy of our time.  I think we all agree that
the process of moving CF along is bogged down by lack of attention from those
of us who are invested in doing so, but have day jobs doing other things. Using
OGC gives this work more "fundability" (e.g. it counts as "Knowledge Transfer"
for academics in this country).

That said, what I've seen of the current state of WCS doesn't exactly inspire
me that OGC would necessarily make things any better
(
http://home.badc.rl.ac.uk/lawrence/blog/2009/04/23/wcs_is_dead%2C_long_live_wfs
)

</cuddlyThoughts>

Cheers
Bryan

--
Bryan Lawrence
Director of Environmental Archival and Associated Research