Re: [galeon] Features and Coverages

If the focus is on talking about service generalization, then I have to agree that we have to review more thoroughly various documents as Ben/George/etc had listed. I am talking about "Grid coverage", which is covered by the scope of the WCS service. WCS 1.0.0 says "this version of WCS is limited to describing and requesting grid coverages with homogeneous range sets.
-- Wenli

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Lake <rlake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, October 7, 2008 6:04 pm
Subject: RE: [galeon] Features and Coverages

Indeed rasters are key - but rasters are one kind of data structure to
represent a coverage - nothing that I said had anything to do with
eliminating rasters - just one should not equate coverage with raster -
it is one kind of coverage representation (and a very important one).
Note that one could also represent the geometry of so called
conventional features like roads by creating a coverage which is the
characteristic function of the road - e.g. set all points on the road =1
and set all points off the road = 0 - this is a "where the road is"
coverage.