Re: [galeon] Features and Coverages

Ben's clarification from O&M also helps minimize or avoid a possibly
approaching train wreck. The initial definition was feature: just a geographic
thing the next definition was feature: abstraction of real-world phenomena (so it
is no longer the physical thing, just the abstraction), and the  discussion after
that suggested to me feature: a digital artifact, possibly with associated digital
services and attributes.

Since in many standards the term 'feature' or similar is (arguably)  referring
to the thing being observed, and is referenced by a URI that  names that
physical entity, it will be helpful to keep the following  concepts distinct:
 a)  the real-world entity (this would be something wet, for example)
 b)  a URI-style  or other computationally usable reference to that  real-world
entity (this is just an identifier), and
 c)  an abstraction of this (or any) real-world entity that lives in  a model
or computer program and describes the entity

Things like points, lines, areas, and volumes seem to be solidly in  the third
category. Features of interest seem solidly in the first  category, until you
have to refer to them with a 'name', then the name  itself is in the second
category.  (There is a long list of possible  definitions of the term in the
Oceans IE report submitted to OGC,  08-124 if you have access; list is appended
below).  Coverages and  sampling features also are of the third class, though
possibly  containing reference to an actual entity by location or name.

I apologize if I didn't get those divisions exactly right, but I'm  sure at
least these 3 concepts usefully co-exist.

john

List of things a feature could be:
 - earth realm (ocean, river)
 - medium (air, water)
 - location
 - event (Hurricane Katrina)
 - system (given platform)
 - named region
 - shape made by a procedure (path of a glider) For that evaluation we went
with 'earth realm'.