Re: [galeon] MIME type discussion background

Hello Ben,

Firstly, thank you very much for quoting.

However, to be honest, I don't get the point because of ambiguity: Are the MIME
parameters used for data format? Or MIME parameters indicate the same thing
what KVP is used for?

Either makes sense but I don't think "it is how most of the web negotiates
formats".  In HTTP a client indicates a list of acceptable media types, and the
server choses the best one according to priority (q parameter) given by the client.

For example,  a HTTP request shown below means "The best is HTML or XHTML, XML is
fine.  Give me anything if nothing above is available."

   GET /path/progname.cgi?key=value&key2=value2 HTTP/1.1
   Host: server.domain
   Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8

That is negotiation.

Anyway, it is very good to know the proposal doesn't care whether the MIME type
is a registered with IANA.  Why don't we start with something like
application/x-cf-netcdf or parameterized counterpart?