Re: [galeon] WCS and MIME types

Hi Eizi,

Eizi TOYODA wrote:
Years ago, I was leading a project called Pandora in which MIME type
parameter was extensively used to negotiate data types.
My quick thoughts:

* MIME type parameter sounds clean, but it's hard to implement MIME
dispatcher using parameter.
  Most dispatcher (such as apache, MS Windows shell) just ignores MIME
type parameter.
  So, different types (not parameter) need to be created if different
handler applications are to be invoked.
* I think netcdf files with different conventions are better handled
with different applications if dispatcher-handler approach is used.
  i.e. Netcdf is too generic vehicle of data like XML.

Can you explain what you mean by dispatcher? I think you mean a client getting some payload with a mime type, the client (or the dispatcher part of the client) then uses the mime type to determine which application should be handed the payload.

But you mention Apache so I wanted to double check that this didn't have to do with gateway or proxy HTTP servers dropping parameters. (Which doesn't seem too likely but ...)

Unless gateways and such are an issue, is this a big issue for WCS? It seems like a general use mime type consideration but not necessarily one from a strictly WCS point of view. (Of course we need to consider the general case when thinking about registering a mime type. I'm just wondering if I'm missing any issues along these lines for WCS)

Thanks,

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690