Re: [galeon] WCS and MIME types

Hello Ben and all,

Yes I'm on the CF list, and I'm happy to introduce this conversation to them.

Eiji

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Ben Domenico <Ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

This is an interesting and valuable discussion.

My suggestion is to go with cf-netcdf.  NetCDF 3 is netCDF in the classic
sense so let's just treat it that way.  And it is really the combination of
CF conventions in netCDF form that we are talking about.  GALEON has shown
that's what client applications are able to deal with, so let's use that for
the MIME type.  By using the dash between "cf" and "netcdf" instead of the
plus sign, we avoid the issue (noted by Dominic) that CF is not really a
media format.   In the future, when we move on to doing this for netCDF 4,
we will have the issue of the whether the file format is netCDF4 or HDF5, so
I suggest we just leave it at CF-netCDF for now and make it clear with a
parameter (version = 3 and is the default).

I agree with Eiji that we should make the CF community aware of the fact
that we are considering this.  They may already have thought it through and
have some additional thoughts on the matter.  Eije, are you on the CF list?
You seem to have the most experience with MIME types and you made the
suggestion to bring them into the conversation.  Would you like to broach
the subject on the CF email list?