Re: [galeon] GALEON WCS update

Ben,

There is a similar need in NASA EOS community for  the phase I use case, except
that HDF-EOS, not CF-netDCF3, is a desired binary output.  That's why including
the so-called oneFile option in newer versions of WCS spec is important to the
EOS user community.

BTW, it was decided during the last week's telecon that tomorrow's telecon
would be skipped, as noted in Arliss' minutes.

Wenli

Hi all,

It appears that another conflict has arisen that will prevent me from
participating in the WCS.SWG telecon tomorrow, so I'm using this email for a
few updates on issues of interest to both groups.

-- In GALEON phase 1, there was a very simple WCS use case, namely, the
client specifies a "parameter" name, a bounding box, and time constraint and
gets back a binary "coverage" that, if written to disk, is actually a
CF-netCDF3 file containing the requested data subset.  Perhaps I am wrong,
but I thought the simplicity of that use case was one of the main reasons
for the wide, active, and productive participation in GALEON 1. To my way of
thinking, this use case represents the real core of WCS for our community.
Efforts have  been undertaken by Dominic Lowe and Steven Keens to make sure
this use case is still covered in subsequent versions of WCS.

-- The CF-netCDF3 encoding format specification has evolved from a brief
document consisting mainly of pointers to information about the netCDF and
CF conventions into an extension standard which is a complete specification
of the WCS interface behaviors in cases where the delivery payload is
CF-netCDF3.  As a consequence, it's taking longer than anticipated to
complete the first draft which is now anticipated to be available in
mid-July.

-- The current version of the CF-netCDF3 is now beyond my level of
expertise, so Stefano Nativi is taking on the role of editor which reflects
the fact that he is in fact doing most of the "heavy lifting" on this
document.  Our thanks to Stefano.

If at all possible, I'll try to participate in at least part of the WCS.SWG
telecon tomorrow.  In any case though, it is important for us to continue a
vigorous dialog between GALEON and the WCS.SWG.