Re: [galeon] Telecon Friday

Hi Kieran,

I am please to say that we can allocate resources to the issue of the
representations of meshes/irregular grids in NetCDF.  As a first stage
we would like to evaluate approaches that have been developed thus far
(I assume there *must* be some out there) and then plan next steps.  Do
you (or other members of this list) have a list of developments in this
area?

Yes, here are several developments that may be helpful:

1.  The work presented and discussed at the "Community Standards for
    Unstructured Grids Workshop" in October, 2006, especially work of
    Tom Gross, Rich Signell, and V. Balaji:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/events/2006GridWorkshop/agenda.html

2. Subsequent brief discussion on the CF Conventions Wiki:

    http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/6
    http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/7

3. V. Balaji's "Gridspec: A standard for the description of grids used
in Earth System models":
   http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~vb/gridstd/gridstd.html

--Russ

russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu