Re: [galeon] Telecon Friday

Hi Kieran,

As a result of presentations at  earlier meetings and subsequent telecon
discussions, I drafted an outline of key issues and ideas that have arisen:

http://galeon-wcs.jot.com/WikiHome/GALEON%20Phase2%20Main%20Page/Unidata%20OGC%20Interoperability%20Day%3A%20Issuesand%20Ideas

which includes your irregular grids among the primary high level dataset
categories that need to be addressed:

  - Grids
  - Points
  - Station observations
  - Trajectories
  - Swaths
  - Radar volumetric scans
  - Irregular grids (as per coastal oceans modeling community)

The draft also outlines the main steps of an action plan:

  1. The CF-netCDF community comes to some agreement on the fundamental
  set of high-level dataset categories

  2. Members of the CF-netCDF community define extensions to or profiles
  of the current CF conventions for each of the dataset categories. The result
  is that, over time, the community has well defined data models and clearly
  specified extensions for each of the categories.  A central issue that must
  be addressed in each case is defining explicit semantics (and perhaps
  syntax) for specifying spatial location information.  The CF community will
  have to address the difficult issues relating to CRS (Coordinate Reference
  System) definitions used in the formal georeferencing standards community.

  3. Community members with expertise in ISO coverages, map the data
  model for each CF-netCDF extension into the ISO 19123 coverages model.  The
  result of this effort is that each dataset category is mapped directly to an
  ISO standard coverage type.  The standards community may have to extend some
  of their approaches to allow for what amounts to  "parameterized" versions
  of the EPSG specs.

  4. Determine whether and how each CF-netCDF extension and the
  corresponding ISO coverage type:

  - can be expressed as Scientific Feature Types in GML and
     - relates to the Sampling Feature Types of the OGC Observations
     and Measurements

     5. Determine whether and how each coverage type can be delivered
  via standard service protocols, e.g.:

  - as features in GML (with binary encodings??) via WFS
     - as sampling features via SOS
     - as coverages via WCS

In my view, this might be used as a first cut at the set of goals that
George Percivall suggested is needed for GALEON.  In the associated Action
Plan outline, we actually have listed commitments from various groups to
take on some of these tasks:

http://galeon-wcs.jot.com/WikiHome/GALEON%20Phase2%20Main%20Page/Revised%20GALEON%202%20Action%20Plan

It would be great to add your group to those working on the "irregular
grids."  As you note, those are some of the most challenging datasets for
the CF conventions community as well as the coverages realm.

-- Ben

On Jan 4, 2008 3:58 PM, Peter Baumann <p.baumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>