[galeon] Coverages WG meeting

Dear all,

a brief note on the Coverages WG meeting that took place yesterday here in Stresa. The GALEON slides I presented to the best of my knowledge (all potential misintepretations and/or wrong explanations are my responsibility). With some points active discussion spun off, in particular involving an ISO representative (Douglas O'Brien) who was with us. Unfortunately none of the GALEON folks has joined the telecon which had been prepared.

Altogether, I took note of the following items that were articulated:
- the core/extension approach is generally perceived as a good way forward towards modular specs - ISO is working on a brush-up of ISO 19123; WCS.RWG expressed the opinion that it would be most valuable to pursue an active exchange of information. - WCSplus is a potentially valuable source of experience which should be fed back into the WCS.RWG. We need to determine how to instrument smooth information flow.
- there is a clear call for simplicity of the spec.
(personal note: we will work on that , but it is hard indeed - see, for example, the requests for simplicity on the one hand, but further - nontrivial - functionality on the other hand; actually the perceived increase in complexity of WCS 1.1.0 over 1.0.0 is mostly due to a clarification of definitions which were fuzzy and ambiguous in the earlier version) - GALEON seems to have in mind some specific functionality add-ons (as discussed already earlier); WCS.RWG and GALEON should actively seek communication on this. - generally speaking, WCS.RWG is most interested in expert opinions and contributions, ideally expressed as change requests.

specific issues:
- we have to check the transformation element of a coverage against the changed CRS handling (no problem in tech says Arliss, but phrasing might be affected) - for the writers of the HDF profile: HDF5 is current, but the demanded HDF-EOS actually is a profile of HDF4 - hence, probably both versions need to be supported by an HDF extension

So much for the moment. Ben, I will approach you separately for discussing how to best leverage the combined expertise.

cheers,
Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
- Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen*