From: owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mike Botts
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:44 PM
To: 'Ben Domenico'; 'Unidata GALEON'
Cc: mike.botts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: weather station observation data in netCDF

Ben et al.

For your consideration, here's a link to an SOS providing weather station
data:

Capabilities:
http://vast.uah.edu:8080/ows-dev/weather?request=GetCapabilities

GetObservation request (1 day's worth of observations):

<http://vast.uah.edu:8080/ows5-dev/weather?request=GetObservation&version=0.
0.31 &offering=WEATHER_DATA&time=2004-04-01T05:00:00Z/2004-04-01T06:00:00Z
&format=application/com-xml>

One of the drivers for the om:Observation schema using SWE Common data types
and encoding definitions, is that it would support a wide range of
observation types (single observations, time series observations, and
coverages such as grids and images) in the same way and in an efficient
manner. They are also meant to be self-describing without relying on
community-specific agreements.

The Observation schema using SWE Common also supports true binary and simple
MIME types (e.g. JPEG) through out-of-band links to flat files or within
SOAP messages with attachments. However, it is not expected or intended to
simply describe and point to a NetCDF or EOS-HDF file, since those can
themselves have complex structures in which knowledge of the format is
required. We currently have SOSes that utilize NetCDF as the data source,
but subset these files at the server level and repackage them as
om:Observation.

All of this discussion again brings up, of course, what we discussed in
Paris ... the need for the various web service groups (SOS, WFS, WCS) and
encoding groups (SWE, GML, NetCDF, EOS-HDF, video, etc) to all begin to meet
together for the sake on defining harmonization and/or dividing lines
between OGC services and encodings.

Thanks.
Mike Botts