From: Ben Domenico [mailto:bendomenico@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: May 8, 2007 9:54 AM
To: Ron Lake
Cc: Roy Mendelssohn; Unidata GALEON
Subject: Re: OGC Ottawa TC meeting highlights

Roy and Ron,

Much of the earlier discussion was spawned by AGU talks by Andrew Woolf
(on CSML  "scientific feature types") and Simon Cox (on sampling feature
classes -- among many other things).  These bear a strong resemblance to
John Caron's Common Data Model "scientific data types."  For me, the use
case that really makes this interesting is the collections of
point/station observations over time that are common in atmospheric
science (weather stations), oceanography (buoys, etc.), and hydrology
(river gaging stations).
It should be noted that work is currently underway to provide netCDF
conventions for such observations.  See:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/UnidataObsConve
ntion.html

Assuming the simplest case of a fixed set of observing stations taking
measurements over time, one can argue that those are classic examples of
"traditional" point FEATURES.  On the other hand, if you view the
collection as a whole as a "dataset," it has many similarities to the
gridded datasets we normally think of as COVERAGES.  It's just that, for
the station observation collections,  the locations of the points are
completely irregular and are specified in a table of some sort rather
than via a geometric algorithm or an indexed vector.

Given such an observation convention for netCDF, this becomes an
important issue in GALEON.  Should such collections of station
observations be delivered as coverages?  Or should they be delivered via
WFS or SOS?   My answer to those questions is an emphatic "yes!"  In
other words, I don't see it as an either/or question.   If the datasets
are available via all three protocols, then the clients for all those
protocols have access to the data.  Moreover, from the server side, if
we at Unidata use the THREDDS Data Server to provide the data as
netCDF-encoded coverages via WCS, the experts in WFS and SOS can provide
services that transform those datasets into the appropriate form for
their client community. Using web services and standards in this manner,
it means we can all focus on the components where we have the expertise.
Isn't that the idea behind web services interoperability?