From: owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roy Mendelssohn
Sent: May 8, 2007 8:39 AM
To: Ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Unidata GALEON
Subject: Re: OGC Ottawa TC meeting highlights

On Apr 30, 2007, at 8:41 AM, Ben Domenico wrote:

The underlying unifying concept is that a "coverage" is in fact a special case of a "feature" and ncML-GML and CSML dialects of GML can provide the needed "wrapper."

I think this is backward. I like the approach Simon Cox takes in the talk he gave at AGU last December, where a coverage is a feature that varies over one of its coordinate axes. Thus a feature is a "collapsed" coverage, not the other way around. If feature gets to be defined that broadly it loses all meaning.

-Roy