AGU presentation on GALEON/THREDDS etc.

Hi,

I'm planning to submit an abstract for a presentation at the Fall AGU for
session "IN08: Standards-Based Interoperability Among Tools and Data
Services in the Earth Sciences."   I'd be pleased to have additional
collaborators from the THREDDS and GALEON  teams listed as co-authors, so,
if you wish to be a co-author, please send me your full name, institutional
affiliation with address, phone number and email address, and your AGU
number if you are a member.  Also let me know if you are willing to serve as
a session chair.

I've appended a draft abstract below, so please let me know if you have any
change suggestions.  These abstracts are due on the 7th so I'll need your
information before Wednesday.  Apologies for the short notice.

GALEON Phase 2 tests gateways between formal standard interfaces and
existing community standard client/server implementations

Ben Domenico, ...

The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Coverage Service (WCS)
revision 1.1specification includes many modifications that are
important to the
communities working with existing services and clients based on netCDF
(network Common Data Form), THREDDS THematic Real-time Environmental
Distributed Data Services), OPeNDAP Open-source Project for Network Data
Access Protocol), and ADDE (Abstract Data Distribution Envrionment)
technologies.  Chief among the WCS changes is the requirement that WCS
binary encoding formats have documented application profiles.  NetCDF will
be among the first WCS binary encoding format profiles.  In addition, WCS
1.1 enables multiple fields in a coverage, 3 spatial dimensions,  2 time
dimensions (e.g., the time a forecast was run and the forecast times within
the run), relative time ( e.g., the latest image), non-spatial dimension (
e.g., pressure or density),  irregular grids.

In Phase 2 of the GALEON (Geo-interface for Land, Environment, Earth, Ocean
NetCDF) Interoperability experiment, the participants will

1. Implement and test clients and servers that conform to the new WCS
1.1spec and experiment with them on a wide range of real-world
datasets.
2. Test the OGC CS-W (Catalog Services for the Web) as a means for accessing
lists of datasets available on WCS servers.
as well as WCS.   As an illustration of the challenge, the top level
3. Evaluate various OGC GML (Geography Markup Language) dialects as a means
for representing the information in netCDF datasets. This will include:
ncML-GML (netCDF Markup Language-GML), CSML (Climate Sciences Modeling
Language), and GMLJP2 (GML for JPEG 2000).

Many of the datasets and catalogs for these experiements will be from
existing netCDF, THREDDS, OPeNDAP, and ADDE servers.