On linking aerosol/chemistry, netCDF-CF, GALEON and GSN interoperability groups

Hello Bryan (and GALEON, GSN, All):

<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Air_Quality/Chemistry_Naming_Conventions>

Your thoughtful response and clarifications regarding the CF group are highly
relevant to this emerging Air Quality/Chemistry Interoperability group. Below
are some of my own thoughts on the relationship between this aerosol/chemistry
interoperability group, the CF group and other international interoperability
groups.

The binary netCDF data structures are just as useful for chemistry as they are
for meteorological data storage and transfer. Therefore its adaption and
promotion in the atmospheric composition community is highly desirable.
Indeed, the Air Quality/Chemistry Interoperability group  intends to use netCDF
for aerosol and chemistry data exchange.

The addition of the CF convention significantly enhances netCDF by providing
standardized metadata as well as structural constraints to the very flexible
netCDF formatting. Your invitation that our aerosol/chemistry workgroup joins
the CF committees is highly appreciated. Hopefully, someone with backgrounds
like Christiane Textor and Martin Schultz would be willing to participate.

My own enthusiasm for netCDF-CF is somewhat tempered by the reality that WMO
and others have their favored data models, formats, and naming conventions.
Hence, forcing a wholesale transition to netCDF-CF may be counterproductive at
this time. One interoperability alternative we might consider, is the use of
mapper and adapter software components as mediators between data 'standards'.

The netCDF-CF convention encourages the use of standard web-based data access
interfaces such as the OGC Web Coverage Service (WCS): Data access is specifying the
parameter, 3D bounding box (xyz) and time range. In fact, as part of the
Geo-interface to Atmosphere, Land, Earth, Ocean,
NetCDF<http://www.ogcnetwork.net/galeon>(GALEON) interoperability experiment,
an international workgroup led by Ben Domenico of Unidata is augmenting the WCS
standard to include netCDF-CF.

Another voluntary workgroup is the GEOSS Services Network<http://www.ogcnetwork.net/gsn>(GSN) coordinated by the OGC's
George Percivall. Through GSN, a series of
demonstrations<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Image:UserandGEOSS_Architecture.png> are being prepared under the
theme "The User and the GEOSS Architecture". The July 30th workshop and demo in Denver
<http://www.ogcnetwork.net/node/137>will highlight air quality and climate change.
<http://www.ogcnetwork.net/node/137> The Air Quality/Chemistry Interoperability group is already established an
effective link to the CF group through the Air Quality/Chemistry Naming Conventions
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Air_Quality/Chemistry_Naming_Conventions>led by Christiane Textor. However, my
perception is that international organizations such as WMO have broader interoperability needs, beyond CF. For example, WMO
is interested in improving the overall data flow between the WMO-GAW <http://www.wmo.ch/web/arep/gaw/gaw_home.html>
Data Centers and also a better data utilization by their user communities.

Hence, it may be beneficial to establish partnerships between the Air
Quality/Chemistry/CF group to other complementary international workgroups such as GALEON
and GSN to provide standards-based approach to broader "solutions", e.g.
standard formats and metadata ( e.g.  netCDF-CF), standard data access services (e.g.
WCS, GALEON), reusable processing services and interoperability demos/testbeds (GSN).
This combination would allow the creation of loosely coupled, user-oriented software for
generating actionable knowledge from the immense raw data pool.

I see a favorable alignment of stars for the realisation of these possibilities
through the confluence of these technologies. Conceivably, many of the international
organizations, programs and agencies such as WMO, GEOSS
<http://www.earthobservations.org/about/about_GEO.html>,  could be convinced of
these opportunities. Of course, it is up to us, the pro-active community to make our
case.

Given a favorable feedback to this somewhat grandiose group linking attempt, I would
be happy to prepare a better organised set of links to the above interoperability
groups - and others suggested by the addressed community. As an initial step toward
such linking, I'm posting this message to the GALEON and the GSN mailing lists as
well as to the Air Chemistry Interoperability  wiki discussion
page<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Talk:Wiki_Workspace#......BLawrence:_CF_Website_Prototype>.

Cordial greetings to all,
Rudy Husar