Re: [WCS.RWG] OGC docs for adding CF-netCDF encoding format profile

Hi Ben,

I have some comments on what you wrote Sunday -- but first, here's how the relevant section of the WCS 1.1 draft now reads, thanks to your *prior* contributions:

= = = = = = = = = = = = *9.3.2.2 SupportedFormats*

The /required/ *supportedFormats* element advertises the output format(s) in which coverages may be requested from a coverage offering. These formats are identified by a MIME type string. Any coverage format that can adequately convey the domain and range of the requested coverage is acceptable. However, for improved interoperability, clients and servers should use formats defined in WCS encoding profiles adopted by OGC. These profiles must contain the following information:

*MIME type(s) and brief description:* a concise overview of the encoding format, including the MIME type string(s) used to refer to it.

*Pointers to documentation* for the encoding format. This documentation must clarify how the encoding convention represents locations, times, and physical quantities represented in the dataset.

* **Data model mapping* to the Coverage Abstract Specification. This should include conventions for representing the spatio-temporal domain, and for representing other dimensions in the range. It should also describe limitations of the format for encoding complex coverages, and limitations of the coverage model for representing complex data structures allowed by the format.

*Examples:* A set of representative examples of the encoding format.

*Pointers to implementing software* for the encoding format.* *Providers of this software may license it in source code or executable form.

*Compliance Testing:* Pointers to mechanisms for testing whether resulting WCS coverages conform to the encoding format.

Now, on to your note about the 06-073 and 06-074 change proposals..:

I made an effort to incorporate as much as possible of the comments I