Re: Using "double" for lon,lat for GALEON WCS NetCDF3 files

GALEON folk -
A word of caution regarding use of coordinate reference system designators:

EPSG, following conventional usage for "geographic" coordinate reference
systems, specifies that the order of components in the coordinate string is
Latitude-Longitude.  This contrasts with (most) projected coordinate systems which use
easting-northing (though some also do use westings and southings!).

In the fragments shown below I see that the coordinate reference system is EPSG
4326 applying to coordinates like (-70.599602,41.550406) If this is intended to
designate a place just off Enderby Land near the Antarctic, then everything is
fine.  However, I suspect the intention is in the North Atlantic, in which case
it is wrong.

This is a well known issue, that has led to period outbreaks of heated
discussions on the OGC lists.  By this stage it is not productive to just
object, proclaim stupidity on the part of the mainstream, and go your own way -
that is not a path to interoperability.

In order to resolve the issue, OGC has issued the designator
"urn:ogc:def:crs:OGC:1.3:CRS84" to refer to the same CRS, but with longitude
before latitude:
see OGC document 05-010 https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=8814 and the revisions proposed in 06-023 http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=13937&version=1

Suggest that you correct either the coordinate reference system designator, or
the coordinate strings.

However, if my assumption regarding the inended location is incorrect, my
apologies and ignore this message.

Simon Cox

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Signell" <rsignell@xxxxxxxx>