Thoughts on GALEON Phase 2

Hi,

_From my perspective, GALEON Phase 1 has been a huge success. As noted earlier though, several of the most important GALEON efforts are in mid-stream and several others are just beginning to take shape with new members joining.

We are facing key questions about how best to proceed from here. From my discussions with George Percivall, there are two avenues available to us -- within the electronic auspices of the OGC. One is to continue on as Phase 2 of the GALEON IE. Of course we have to keep in mind that the formal interface specification aspects of that approach are only available to GALEON participants whose institutions are OGC members.

In addition the OGC has recently opened up the OGC Networks (TM) option which can include participants who are not OGC members.

<http://www.ogcnetwork.net/>

This might be better than the combination of Unidata email lists, the GALEON wiki, and pointers to web pages on various participant sites that I cobbled together so we could include non-OGC members on the implementation and testing facets in Phase 1. I would ask you to give this some thought, experiment a bit with the OGC Networks site let's have a dialog on how to proceed with GALEON Phase 2.

Thanks,