NetCDF Semantics and Data in XML

Hi,

Based on recent interactions with Stefano Nativi and Lorenzo Bigagli, I've
created a web page at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/GALEON/TestDatasets/NcMLAndGML.htm

which describes work at the University of Florence encoding semantics and, in some
cases, data into various XML dialects based on the netCDF Markup Language (NcML). In
the document, there are pointers to examples of NcML, NcML-CS, and NcML-GML for the
galeon test dataset sst.nc <http://sst.nc>.

The NcML-GML encoding provides several options for encoding the semantics and
providing direct or deferred netCDF data access -- all based on an adaptation
of the OGC GML standard. There is also a brief summary of the status and short
term plans of the University of Florence GALEON WCS effort.

It will be very interesting to see how many of the clients involved in the
GALEON experiment are capable of working with netCDF data access in this OGC
standard form.

Also I would like to set up our second GALEON telecon next week if possible, so
I'd encourage participants to summarize their efforts over the last mont h at
the GALEON wiki http://galeon-wcs.jot.com/WikiHome

and let me know whether you can participate on a telecon on Thursday or Friday
next week. Starting the telecon at 8am pacific time seemed to work for
participants except for those in Oceania.