Re: Fwd: Re: GMU WCS Server supports netCDF output

yliu5@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Frank,

I believe the file is correct. Please refer to CF conventions document at

http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/CF-1.0.html

Chapter 5.6 and Appendix F.

Actually the data is in UTM projection, but I can't find how to specify UTM in
netCDF. So I used Transverse Mercator instead. Is there any other way to
specify projections?

There are two variables called xdim and ydim. From them you can get the
x-coordinate and y-coordinate of every pixel. Therefore we can get anything we
want such as the offset, origin, etc. And also there are lat/lon variables
storing the lat/lon of every pixel. That makes the netCDF file much larger than
the original HDF-EOS file. If you have any better idea to avoid those
unnecessary variables, please let me know. Thanks.
Regards,
Yang Liu
LAITS,GMU

CF-1 got bogged down specifying UTM.I can track down the last known proposal if
you want.

Also, CF requires the lat, lon, So you must leave in to claim "CF compliance". If you dont care about that you can leav it out.

One thing that would be nice is to make the data variable, or at least the "long_name" attribute meaninful insteadd of L71131056_05620041229_B10.

Very nice job, though.