Re: GDAL netcdf convention CF support

Frank, et al,

I think we need to be thinking either about making GDAL more interested in 3D/4D datasets, as that's coming whether we're ready or not... in fact, for me, it's already here.. and then see if we need to consider forking or augmenting Mapserver to accommodate it.

I see a lot of conceptual problems for Mapserver, and, for that matter, a LOT of GIS packages in incorporating 3D/4D data, and presenting it properly. This has been an issue for GIS practitioners since just about forever: They think in 2 dimensions and can't, as a group, appreciate the need for either vertical, or time. They represent time series data as a series of static images.

I see, in Mapserver, a potential interface. It's open-source and thus maleable for applications like this. It won't be simple or straightforward, and in the end, Mapserver might serve solely as an example framework for a new 3D/4D display/dissemination tool, but it *is* a starting point.

I'm kinda thinking about a melding of Mapserver and IDV, in th elong run.

gerry

Indeed, as things stand in GDAL and MapServer it would be hardto achieve support for 3D and 4D datasets smoothly. It might bepossible to "hack something up", but I'm not sure how desirablethat would be. At best, it would be fragile and/or dependent onalot of extra configuration information in MapServer which wouldinternally still need to treat results as stacks of 2D bands.

--
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578