Re: GDAL netcdf convention CF support

2005/8/18, Dominic Lowe <d.lowe@xxxxxxxx>:
Hi Denis,

I'd also done a "bit" of work on this, but I'll happily abandon my
efforts if your driver is now in the distribution.

I did not know somebody else worked on this. Sorry to hear that we
duplicated the work.

I had a look at your code (haven't compiled it yet) but one thing I had
in my driver that you might like to consider adding is a check to see if
the file is CF compliant (or rather, a check to see if it has the CF
"Conventions" attribute).

Also, if I remember rightly (it's been a few months since I wrote it)
this check should stop your netCDF driver picking up "GMT" grid files,
which should be left to the GMT driver to deal with.

I can add some of your code, but some people still uses COARDS convention which
is compatible with CF-etc.

I notice that GMT checks for variable name "dimension" and "z". GMT driver
should then reject netcdf CF or COARDS Convention except if these variables exists. This test seems
to be good enough for the moment.  At this point, I would like the netcdf driver to try to read the
data even if it is not CF or COARDS.

Regards,
Denis