RE: GDAL netcdf convention CF support - MapServer

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Denis Nadeau
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:26 PM
To: gdal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: GDAL netcdf convention CF support

GDAL now supports netcdf format using CF convention as specified by
unidata.

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/conventions.hdf

The software looks if the variables lat/latitude and lon/longitude are
presents in the netcdf file.  If found, these variables are used to
specify the georeferencing transformation.

I'd like the community to try it out and if there are some problems, let
me know. GDAL netcdf format also works on Windows with he precompile
library version 3.6.1-beta1 (January 2005).

Regards,
Denis Nadeau

Pleased to report this works fine with MapServer, reading netCDF files
directly from disk.  I compiled the c netcdf libraries from unidata,
then gdal, then mapserver, all worked fine.

I am finding that gdal isn't picking up any geographic coordinate
information from the netcdf files, despite them having a geogrid, I am
putting this in by hand in the map file.

The WCS getCoverage query worked, returning what was a netCDF file on
disk as a floating point geotiff.
This is really good, thanks, once I have got fully working on the
production system, I will update the howto on the MapServer web site for
WCS.

Norman