RE: redo striped.nc

Catching up on some old mails - probably stale discussions by now, but maybe useful.
Frank Warmerdam wrote:

On 6/22/05, John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am realizing that striped.nc also has irregularly spaced vertical coordinates. I was thinking that didnt matter, but now im realizing that i cant use a RectifiedGrid like the one below. Can anyone give me an example of how it should be changed to accomodate an irregular vertical coordinate?

John,

To the best of my knowledge there is no GML well defined mechanism to describe such a grid. Please describe to the list if you find a way of doing so.

That's correct - the definition of the RectifiedGrid element follows ISO
19136, which specifies grids with constant spacing along each axis. There is just one offsetVector per dimension.
The ISO 19123 ReferenceableGrid is a more general object, which maps
grid coodinates (i.e. integer coordinates) to an external corodinate
reference system, but it is defined in terms of operations only, with no
limitation on how it might be implemented (function, lookup, etc). For obvious reasons, this is not implemented in GML

In order to specify a regular grid with non-constant offsets, a new
specialization of CV_Grid/gml:Grid would be required. Not hard conceptually - just replace the single offsetVector on each axis with an ordered list of vectors. (Of course there are various kinds of constraints you might want to apply - e.g. are all vectors on one axis are parallel, or not?)
Simon

______
Simon.Cox@xxxxxxxx  CSIRO Exploration & Mining
26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151 PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102
AUSTRALIA
T: +61(8) 6436 8639  F: +61(8) 6436 8555
C: +61(4) 0330 2672 callto://dr_shorthair http://www.em.csiro.au
ABN: 41 687 119 230