back to the dataset parameter

I previously removed the dataset parameter to the WCS server, in favor of using the URL path to identify which _local_ dataset to serve.

Now Ive been asked to allow the WCS server to serve remote datasets, eg OPeNDAP datasets on another server. For this, I dont see any other good way to specify the dataset.

Heres a snippet of some preliminary documentation. Comments welcome. You can try this out on motherlode if you want (the example dataset is rather large and slow, but pretty).

A slight extension of the WCS Dataset URL format allows us to serve remote datasets. Identify the dataset by adding the parameter dataset whose value is a URL:

 http://servername:8080/thredds/wcs?dataset=datasetURL&;

The URL must be a dataset readable by the NetCDF-Java library, typically an OPeNDAP dataset on another server. It must have gridded data, with identifiable coordinate systems, etc. For example, an OPeNDAP URL is

http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/data/oceanwatch/nrt/gac/AG14day.nc

This can be served remotely as a WCS dataset with this URL:

http://servername:8080/thredds/wcs?dataset=http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/data/oceanwatch/nrt/gac/AG14day.nc&;