Re: Adding scale, offset, units metadata to geotiff

Yes.  That is what I am suggesting.  This is mentioned in the GeoTIFF
specs as a possible use for that parameter pair.  Given that there is no
concept of raster spacing in the vertical direction, how else might you
interpret the vertical scaling parameters?  Even if we created 2-D
vertical-longitude profiles, these should have x- and y- axes within the
GeoTIFF, for broswers and other software to render correctly.

-Rob