Ron

Sent: May 13, 2005 6:46 PM

Yes again - Coverage is clearly a restriction of a more generalised parent, perhaps
starting at "Function".

However, the restriction to spatio-temporal domains is useful.

This is a special, frequently-occuring subtype of the general concept, that is
important enough in GIS to warrant its own name.

There are certain operations that apply to coverages that do not apply to the
parent classes, and it is useful to have things classified in this way to allow
these operations to be available.

So, I think we do need a more general class, but we should also retain
"coverage".

netCDF is related to the parent of coverage, and JP2K relates to a restriction
of coverage.

And the Observation model relates to metadata about the estimate of values in
the range.

Simon