Re: Fwd: [GMLJP2] RE: GML, JPEG2K, and WCS

I'll admit to not closely following the JP2 work, but I've still got a question: Last I checked, JPEG compression was lossy. Has this changed with JPEG2000, and if not, how do we reconcile lossy compression with recapturing the pixel values/contents?

For instance, I have a particular interest in using WCS for sea surface temperatures, as one example, and content rich weather radar data as another. If we invoke a lossy compression scheme, I lose data.

Am I concerned about a solved problem?

Also: in the examples, you cite basic surface met observations data. We already move that quite nicely via WFS, and I'm not sure that particular example has bearing. NOW: attempting to represent fine grid from a model where the output is the result of shading or contouring might be an example of a utilitarian implementation. Pedantically speaking, of course ;-)

Thanks, Gerry

Ben Domenico wrote:
Hi,

Below are comments from Ron Lake and Sean Forde responding to questions I asked about possible relationships between the OGC GMLJP2 (GML JPEG2000) work they are involved in and the GALEON IE. It could provide another standards-based approach to delivering the kinds of datasets we are working with in GALEON.

Especially I call your attention to the suggestion that we find a venue at the Bonn OGC technical commitee meeting for further discussion. I suggest we spend a few minutes at tomorrow's GALEON telecon on this topic.