Re: New Ticket - [netCDFDecoders !FEG-733021]: Problem reading ECMWF Grib file

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Hi Robb-

Robb Kambic wrote:
Just to clarify,  quasi regular grids are supported in Grib2. the NCEP grids
have started the change to Grib2, it is expected to have all grids changed by
the 1st quarter 2007.  Don, i suspect eumetsat should have a schedule close to
NCEP.

Thanks for the clarification - I was wondering about that.  When you say "quasi
regular grids are supported in Grib2" do you mean that your Grib decoder supports
that?

While the centers may be moving toward Grib2 for realtime distribution, there
are vast amounts of archived data at NCDC, ECMWF and other centers that are in
grib 1.  Since THREDDS is supposed to provide a mechanism for accessing
archived as well as realtime data, it seems prudent to support the quasi
regular grids in Grib 1 as well as Grib2.  The file in question came from the
ECMWF archives and is from October, 2003.  That's not the first queries we've
gotten on these (and probably won't be the last).

Perhaps we can add this to the items for discussion.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm

  • Search the decoders archives: