Re: unit conversions in METAR decoder

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Keith Brewster wrote:

I was testing my updated NetCDF METAR reader code using some recent datafiles
(most recent being Aug 11, 2006)  from the THREDDS catalog, and I notice there
have been some changes in the data since I last worked on reader for this type
of file.   I have accommodated those changes, some of which addressed issues I
mentioned last time I was trying this (March of 2005).  However I have a
problem with how the winds are handled.  The winds in kts seem to being
converted to m/s and rounded to integer values (but stored as real numbers).
If we want to accurately recover the original value in integer kts (thus
accurately represented the original report), it would be helpful to calculated
and store them with precision of one decimal place.  Previously there had been
an issue with the constant being used, it should be m/s=kts*0.514444

Keith,

i don't know why i thought the wind values need to be integers. anyway, i am
now storing the values as float. tomorrows data files should be correct.

robb...

rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/

  • Search the decoders archives: