Re: 19981102: netCDF2grib

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Unidata Support wrote:

>To: support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>From: Kevin Fuell <kevinf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: netCDF2grib

Unidata,

I've down loaded your decoders for METAR, buoys, and RAOBs.  I'm using
them to create netCDF files for the Local Analysis and Prediction System
(LAPS) developed by FSL.
I'm a UCAR Visiting Scientist at the Coast Survey Development Lab and we
are trying to run LAPS over the Chesapeake Bay to get a high-resolution
analysis of wind.  Many of the LAPS output fields will be sent to other
parties, including the University of Maryland, to be used as initial conditions for prediction models. The LAPS output is in netCDF. We are looking for some code that will transfer the netCDF output into
GRIB format.  I saw in the decoders.tar.Z file that there is a
"gribtonc" to get things like the RUC into netCDF, but is there
something that will go the other way:

        netCDF---->GRIB????????????????

Is anyone working on this?

Kevin,

This is the first request to translate netCDF to GRIB, I don't think there
will be a large need in the future.  The best advice I can give is to
write your own translator.  I would use the netCDF library calls to
extract the information (info about netCDF on unidata web page )and the
routines at wesley NOAA
http://wesley.wwb.noaa.gov/gribw.html to create the grib file. Good luck in your endeavor.

Is it possible to work with LAPS to get a raw data stream, that way you
would only have to do the grib encoding part.

RObb...

Thanks,

Kevin Fuell
* Kevin Fuell                                           *
* UCAR Visiting Scientist at the Coast                  *
* Survey Development Lab (NOAA/NOS/CSDL)                *
* ATTN: LAPS Project for the Chesapeake Bay             *
* mail code: N/CS13                                     *
* 1315 East-West Highway, SSMC3, Rm 7709                *
* Silver Spring MD, 20910                               *
* Phone: 301-713-2809 x114      FAX: 301-713-4501       *
* NOAA/NWS Forecast Office (3 to 4 days/week)           *
* 44087 Weather Service Rd.                             *
* Sterling VA, 20166                                    *
* email: kevinf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                    *
* Phone: 703-260-0106           FAX: 703-260-0809       *

rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/

  • Search the decoders archives: