Re: Fatal Error

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Robert J. Boucher wrote:

> [...]
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > gribtypes.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > inetutil.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > levels.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > params.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > product_data.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > quasi.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > timeunits.c
> >  cc -c -g  -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > ulog.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > centers.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > gribdump.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > models.c
> >  cc -g emalloc.o  gbds.o  gbytem.o  gdes.o  get_prod.o  grib1.o
> > gribtypes.o  inetutil.o  levels.o  params.o  product_data.o  quasi.o
> > timeunits.o  ulog.o  centers.o  gribdump.o  models.o  -lm  -o gribdump
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > gribtonc.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > mkdirs_open.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include  nc.c
> >
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > ncfloat.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > nuwg.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > recs.c
> >  cc -c -g -I/usr/local/netcdf/include -I/usr/local/udunits/include
> > units.c
> >  cc -g emalloc.o  gbds.o  gbytem.o  gdes.o  get_prod.o  grib1.o
> > gribtypes.o  inetutil.o  levels.o  params.o  product_data.o  quasi.o
> > timeunits.o  ulog.o  gribtonc.o  mkdirs_open.o  nc.o  ncfloat.o  nuwg.o
> > recs.o  units.o \
> >        -L/usr/local/netcdf/lib -lnetcdf  -L/usr/local/udunits/lib
> > -ludunits -lm  -o gribtonc
> > ld:  FATAL 12:  Expecting o32 objects:
> > /usr/local/udunits/lib/libudunits.a(utlib.o) is n32.
> > *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> > *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> Robert,
> > You have an incompatibility with the object files, -o32 verses -n32. You
> need to recompile the udunits files using the -o32 flag and then the link
> with gribtonc will success.  I would look at the man pages for cc and then
> edit udunits Makefile, make sure that the compile and the load are both
> done with -o32.  BTW -o stands for old 32 bit and -n stands for new 32
Robb,

I modified the udunits Makefile where I though was appropriate.  I
didn't quite know what you meant by the compile and the load being -o32
but I just attached a -o32 where there was a cc.  This seemed to clear
up the problem but then a new problem arose.  I started to get a new
error which is ld32: FATAL 12: Expecting n32 objects: ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(v2i.o) is o32

This looked the first error and I figured I was going to have to modify
the netcdf Makefile with a -n32 but when I recompiled the netcdf files I

Robert,

If this was the error from compiling gribtonc, then you need to add a line
in the Makefile after line 15 for LDFLAGS:

CFLAGS          = -g
LDFLAGS         = -o32

to tell the linker to use -o32.

Hopefully this should solve your problem.

Robb...

got the same error as above.  I have included the Makefile from netcdf,
the macros.make file and the file containing the output from running the
netcdf Makefile.  My computer knowledge regarding this area is limited
so any detailed explanations and instructions would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks so much for your assistance.

Robert Boucher

Robert Boucher
> > -- > Robert J. Boucher Tel: 971-942-2000 X2893 > Associate MTS/Meteorologist Fax: 971-972-2571 > Litton-TASC email: rjboucher@xxxxxxxx
> 55 Walkers Brook Drive