From: CF-metadata [mailto:cf-metadata-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
rhorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 10 April 2013 14:20
To: cf-satellite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; cf-metadata@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [CF-metadata] New CoordinateType: Spectral?

Jonathan:

With the growing interest in the CF conventions around the world by the
satellite CF data producer and user communities coupled with the ubiquitous
nature of wavelength-based satellite CF data sets, does it make sense to add a
paragraph to Section 4 Coordinate Types to discuss Spectral Coordinates ?

very respectfully,

randy

++++

Dear Aleksandar

> I know this will likely end up as a trac ticket but would like first

> to gauge the community's opinion about defining a new coordinate type.

> Satellite data originates as measurements at a number of intervals of

> the electromagnetic spectrum. These intervals are commonly referred to

> as bands or channels. Deciding on how to store the band information is

> one of the key issues toward a standardized representation for

> satellite data.

> The convention seems to allow storing of band information either as a

> numerical coordinate variable or as a string auxiliary coordinate

> variable.

Yes, the CF standard could handle both of those, without any modification.

A trac ticket may not be needed. I certainly think there is no problem at

all for a numerical coordinate of band wavelength. You need only to propose

a new standard name for it, if one is needed. There is already a generic

standard name of radiation_wavelength, included for use as a coord variable

just as in your first example. If you need something more specific, I would

suggest sensor_radiation_wavelength. The coord values for this would be the

central wavelengths, and you could also supply bounds specifying the range

of wavelengths covered by the sensor.

Although string-valued auxiliary coordinate variables are possible already,

as used in your second example, I would argue they are less useful as

metadata than numerical ranges. That is because the main use of CF is to

support intercomparison of datasets, which is better-defined if numbers are

used. If there are widely used definitions of named wavelength bands,

required for intercomparison of many datasets, a standard_name could be

defined with a number of permitted string values. I think this extension

could probably be seen as a new standard_name, not requiring a change to

the conventions, although it could be explicitly mentioned in section 6 like

Roy is proposing for biological taxa.

Best wishes

Jonathan

This message (and any attachments) is for the recipient only. NERC is subject
to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the contents of this email and any
reply you make may be disclosed by NERC unless it is exempt from release under
the Act. Any material supplied to NERC may be stored in an electronic records
management system.