Re: [cf-satellite] [CF-metadata] how to capture horizontal spatial resolution of imagery in a standard way

  • To: Randy Horne <rhorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [cf-satellite] [CF-metadata] how to capture horizontal spatial resolution of imagery in a standard way
  • From: Mike Grant <mggr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 10:18:56 +0100
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the explanation - that cleared things up a lot for me and I
certainly see what you're getting at now.  I liked the "resolution"
proposal and could see us and many others using that too.  I think this
requires no standard name and is just an addition to the cell methods
part of CF?

I don't know how much you want to flesh that out further; it would be
potentially useful to be able to express non-square pixels, different
units for resolution (angles, kilometers, etc) and perhaps even a means
to link to a sampling function.

However, I think it would be a useful addition even in the simplest
form, so I'd suggest avoiding getting hung up on too many details that
can be added later and just get something in.

Cheers,

Mike.

On 30/04/13 20:52, Randy Horne wrote:
> dimensions: x=5424 ; y-5424  ;
>
> variables: int x(x) ; axis = "X" ;' int y(y) ; axis = "Y" ;
>
> float data (y,x); :coordinates = "y x" ; :cell_methods="y: x: point
> (resolution: .000056 rad) ;

Latest news: www.pml.ac.uk and @PlymouthMarine

Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML) is a company limited by guarantee registered
in England & Wales, company number 4178503. Registered Charity No. 1091222.
Registered Office: Prospect Place, The Hoe, Plymouth  PL1 3DH, UK.

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system. You are
reminded that e-mail communications are not secure and may contain viruses; PML
accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses.