Re: [cf-satellite] cf-satellite Digest, Vol 28, Issue 5

  • To: Jim Biard <jim.biard@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [cf-satellite] cf-satellite Digest, Vol 28, Issue 5
  • From: Mike Grant <mggr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:20:38 +0000
On 20/02/13 17:52, Jim Biard wrote:
> This issue with altitude is exactly why it is critical to include the
> geographic coordinate system used - both the horizontal and vertical
> datum.  That's where the issue lies.  It's not with the concept of
> altitude, per se.

This is the key point, but I think it's perhaps one that's a general
issue for the CF guys to sort out rather than something we need to deal
with when proposing a standard name.  One could include a short snippet
in the description along the lines of "For this variable to be
meaningful, it must be associated with a {horizontal|vertical} datum.".

Again, one should approach this point carefully as it's likely to cause
a torrent of discussion and bog that name down in a swamp of
difficulties.  At the least, try to isolate it from others or, if the
discussion starts, try your hardest to separate the datum issue into
another thread separate from the name proposal!

> This can be quite a mess to navigate through, and I appreciate you and
> Aleksandar's (and others!) efforts to develop these standard names!

Hear hear!

Cheers,

Mike.
--
PGP: 0xD4925D35 (5A17 756C 3F78 27DB C641 F50C 05EC 4F23 D492 5D35)

Latest news: www.pml.ac.uk and @PlymouthMarine

Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML) is a company limited by guarantee registered
in England & Wales, company number 4178503. Registered Charity No. 1091222.
Registered Office: Prospect Place, The Hoe, Plymouth  PL1 3DH, UK.

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system. You are
reminded that e-mail communications are not secure and may contain viruses; PML
accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses.