Re: [cf-satellite] About satellite names

Martin,

You are correct about sensor vs instrument. And you are also right about project. The project concept is rather flexible, and is optional. It can be used to identify a campaign, or to help link together a group of platforms that have a common lineage, or other purposes of this sort. Another synonym for project is mission. I like the idea of identifying a satellite that is part of a series (such as Meteosat) as belonging to a project named "Meteosat" (for example). Yes, the name of the satellite can be somewhat redundant to this identification, but the platform name doesn't always have a clear connection to the larger family to which it belongs. For example, the Suomi-NPP satellite is part of the overall program/project named JPSS (Joint Polar Satellite System), and the next satellite in the series will be named JPSS-1.

Grace and peace,

Jim