Re: [cf-pointobsconvention] Draft 2

NOTE: The cf-pointobsconvention mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

John Graybeal wrote:
I think 'requiring a Z' and 'requiring a Z with every point' are two different things. I don't think anyone meant to argue for the latter, or they'll correct me if I'm wrong.

To take an easy case first, for surface-based measurements like ship point observations, specifying 'surface' in one place for all Z coordinates (e.g., via an attribute) seems like a reasonable approach.

You can use a scalar, "nominal" coordinate variable, like:

variables;
char z(z_strlen);

float lon(obs);
float lat(obs);
double time(obs);

float dataVar(obs);
 dataVar:coordinates = “lon lat z time”;

data:
 z = "tropopause";

  • Search the cf-pointobsconvention archives: