19970324: COMET Case 005 fully loaded

NOTE: The casestudies mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

COMET CASE 005 (Lake Effect Snow)

At the end of last week I finished loading the last of the Case 005
datasets into the CODIAC data access system.  This means that all of
case 005 is now available for your perusal online.  The datasets can
be searched, subset, and downloaded.  Several datasets, i.e., those
archived as GIF images or GEMPAK surface files, can be browsed through
the CODIAC web interface.

One change from case 004 is the format in which the model data is
stored.  Instead of GEMPAK grid files, they are now archived as GRIB
files.  I am currently in the process of adding a GRIB to GEMPAK
translator to the CODIAC system.  This translator will convert the
files to GEMPAK format on-the-fly when the data is downloaded,
allowing you to retrieve the data in either format.

Following this, I will work on adding a GRIB to netCDF translator to
CODIAC.  This will add another format in which you can retrieve the
model data.

NEXT CASE

While working on GRIB to netCDF, I will also begin loading
another case into CODIAC as individual datasets.  If you have a
preference, opinion, or suggestion on which case should be split up
into its component datasets and loaded into CODIAC, please let me know
with an e-mail to casestudies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

One of the following four cases will be the next case loaded into
CODIAC as individual datasets (they are all currently available only
as complete tapes):

  COMET Case Study 001, "The Storm of the Century", 11-13 March 1993;
  COMET Case Study 002, Mid-west Snow Event, 6 December 1995;
  COMET Case Study 003, Hurricane Erin, 1-3 August 1995; and
  COMET Case Study 006, Chicago Flood/Oakfield F5 Tornado, 17-19 July 1996.

Here's what is already available on CODIAC for search and download as
individual datasets:

  COMET Case Study 004, Bow Echo, 5 May 1996; and
  COMET Case Study 005, Lake Effect Snow, 4-5 January 1995.

Thanks,

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                       Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                    Fax:       (303) 497-8690

  • Search the casestudies archives: