[awips2-users] EDEX Tuning

Hello,

We have our EDEX server running with the default Unidata configuration on a server that is a few years old, but should theoretically be beefy enough to run things smoothly. The server has 8 CPUs (Xeon X5450 @ 3.00GHz, 6144 KB cache) and 16 GB of memory. We are running version 14.4.1-4n6 under CentOS 6.7.

After running for over two weeks with little to no external requests from CAVE clients, the CPU load is consistently high, with 15 min load average about 5-6 and regularly getting to levels of 10-15. The number of threads has been hovering near 2000 since we have started running EDEX.

Is this type of performance normal? Are there changes that can be made to sysctl.conf or other configuration files to potentially reduce the CPU load & threads?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brendon

--