[THREDDS #OPV-470285]: TDS error I've never seen before: "spi is null, perhaps file has been closed"

Hi Rich,

I've reproduced the failure, though I'm getting a different error message:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5tiledLayoutBB$DataChunk.getByteBuffer(H5tiledLayoutBB.java:181)
 ~[edu.ucar-cdm-4.6.4-SNAPSHOT.jar:?]

The failure is in the HDF5 IOSP, but I don't think it actually has anything to
do with that. The next step is to reproduce with plain NetCDF-3 files.

My working hypothesis is that OpendapServlet is keeping NetcdfDataset objects
around in memory between calls, while the NcML aggregation machinery is
aggressively closing them in the background to save memory. Then OpendapServlet
attempts to read from a dataset that's been closed.

Your support tickets are never easy, Rich, but often instructive.

Cheers,
Christian

Ticket ID: OPV-470285
Department: Support THREDDS