[AWIPS #GSX-316398]: NLDN Plotting

> Hello Tiffany and Unidata Crew,
>
> We have been trying to have our AWIPS system decode our private NLDN feed for
> several months now. Vaisala sends us the feed in a text format. Below is the
> sample text file setup that Vaisala has provided us.
>
> Each UALF type 0 record contains the following fields:
>
> The UALF record type (it will always be 0 for these types of records).
> Year, 1970 to 2032.
> Month, with January as 1 and December as 12.
> Day of the month, 1 to 31.
> Hour, 0 to 23.
> Minute, 0 to 59.
> Second, 0 to 60.
> Nanosecond, 0 to 999999999.
> Latitude of the calculated location in decimal degrees, to 4 decimal places,
> -90.0 to 90.0.
> Longitude of the calculated location in decimal degrees, to 4 decimal places,
> -180.0 to 180.0.
> Estimated peak current in kiloamps, -9999 to 9999.
> Multiplicity for flash data (1 to 99) or 0 for strokes.
> Number of sensors participating in the solution, 2 to 99.
> Degrees of freedom when optimizing location, 0 to 99.
> The error ellipse angle as a clockwise bearing from 0 degrees north, 0 to
> 180.0 degrees
> The error ellipse semi-major axis length in kilometers, 0.00 to 50.00 km.
> While this field is capable of displaying values to the nearest 10 meters,
> some location processes (located, locate3d and locatevid) write out solutions
> in a binary format which limits the precision to 100 meter accuracy. NOTE:
> locatevid can be configured to write out data in two different formats, one
> has 10 meter accuracy and the other has 100 meter accuracy. When formatting
> data limited to 100 meter accuracy, the last digit will always be zero (you
> will see values like: 1.10, 0.40, 2.20).
> The error ellipse semi-minor axis length in kilometers, 0 to 50.0km. While
> this field is capable of displaying values to the nearest 10 meters, some
> location processes (located, locate3d and locatevid) write out solutions in a
> binary format which limits the precision to 100 meter accuracy. NOTE:
> locatevid can be configured to write out data in two different formats, one
> has 10 meter accuracy and the other has 100 meter accuracy. When formatting
> data limited to 100 meter accuracy, the last digit will always be zero (you
> will see values like: 1.10, 0.40, 2.20).
> Chi-squared value from location optimization, 0 to 999.99
> Rise time of the waveform in microseconds, 0 to 99.9
> Peak-to-zero time of the waveform in microseconds, 0 to 999.9
> Maximum rate-of-rise of the waveform in kA/usec, 0 to 999.9
> Cloud indicator, 1 if Cloud-to-cloud discharge, 0 for Cloud-to-ground
> Angle indicator, 1 if sensor angle data used to compute position, 0 otherwise
> Signal indicator, 1 if sensor signal data used to compute position, 0
> otherwise
> Timing indicator, 1 if sensor timing data used to compute position, 0
> otherwise

> [...]

Hi Gary,

Are you currently ingesting USPLN data?

The way the current text parser is set up is to match 4 different text
patterns. Two of the patterns set the
lightning source to "UNKN", one to "USPLN", and another sets it to "WWLLN". The
goal here, is to create a work-around so that the NLDN text will match one of
these 4 patterns. While it currently won't show up as "NLDN", it will still
ingest and display.

Here is a thread where we recently worked with a user to get NLDN text data to
show up as USPLN:
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/awips/msg01104.html

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: GSX-316398
Department: Support AWIPS