[AWIPS #ECC-269075]: GFE on Windows

Hi there,

> I ran across this download of AWIPS and I'm very interested. I've spent some
> time
> working at the National Weather Service and got to use AWIPS and I really
> like the
> customization of the data and I would like to be able to download this. I've
> read
> through the material and it seems pretty easy to download and use? (I'm
> working off
> of a windows computer).

For Windows you have two options for installation.  If you have full
administrative
privileges on the computer, you can do the "direct install".  The other option
is to
install a piece of third party software called VMWare Workstation Player and
then
download our Linux Virtual Machine, and run that on your Windows machine.
All instructions (and pros and cons) are listed on our website:
http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/#windows

> Another question I have though is using the graphical forecast editor. Right
> now
> for another project I'm working on I'm taking GRIB data from the National
> Digital
> Forecast Database, which takes the NWS offices grids, which if I remember
> correctly
> those get done in the GFE. I was wondering if there was a way to use AWIPS to
> be
> able to edit my own GRIB files for internal use? I read that the GFE is not
> available
> on windows but is there a work around to creating GRIB files that the NWS
> does?

Are you wanting to use AWIPS to view different GRIB files you've created?  Or
use AWIPS
to create GRIB files instead of getting the files from the NDFD?
The GFE is available on our Linux version of AWIPS -- so if you install the
Virtual
Machine on your Windows machine, you should have access to it.  However, we
only have
one site available for the GFE -- OAX.  So, keep that in mind.
Let me know if you can clarify a bit more on what you're wanting to do, or if
you have
other questions.

Thanks!

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: ECC-269075
Department: Support AWIPS