[AWIPS #SIP-574950]: AWIPS questions

> Hi, I've been playing with AWIPS quite a bit since I got it set up. Few
> questions..

Great! Glad you've been able to play around a bit. We do have quite a bit of
documentation if you would find that useful.

We have our Unidata AWIPS User Manual Website here:
http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/

There are several different pages specifically for CAVE that you'll find in the
menu on the right hand side under the "CAVE User Manual" heading.

We also have a page for Educational Resources that might be helpful:
http://unidata.github.io/awips2/appendix/educational-resources/
This has information for our newly released CAVE learning module (called Learn
AWIPS CAVE), and has links for all of our AWIPS Tips Blog series posts.

> 1.  I've noticed a few model products aren't available (for example, The
> Q-Vector and most F-vector products for any model I've tried, as well as
> convective precip for the NAM. Will these be available at some point?

How are you trying to load these products? I have been able to load the Q and F
vectors for NAM12, NAM30, GFS20, GFS1p0, RAP13, and HRRR. You should be able to
load it from the Volume Browser or Product Browser. We will put it down on our
list to look into Convective Precip for NAM.

Here is some specific documentation on using the Volume Browser, there are some
embedded links within that as well:
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/awips-tips-explore-the-cave1

> 2.  Do you anticipate the ECMWF being available in the future?

It has not been something we've looked into at this point, but we can put it on
our long list of features to be added.

> 3.  Is there a way to create an upper air analysis in AWIPS similar to this
> (https://weather.rap.ucar.edu/upper/displayUpper.php?img=upaCNTR_500.gif&endDate=-1&endTime=-1&duration=0)?

Yep, again you can use the volume browser. By default the products are loaded
as a contour, but you can right click on product name in the legend and select
"load as image" for an image.
The menu options have some default map displays you can work off of too.

> Thanks!

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: SIP-574950
Department: Support AWIPS