Date:    Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:30:13 +0100
From:    "Offiler, Dave" <address@hidden>To:      Steve Emmerson
           <address@hidden>
cc:      Ed Hartnett <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Subject: Re: question about building udunits: is yacc needed?

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the advice. I've got the problem solved with the
knowledge that yacc isn't necessary and a better appreciation of what
the configure output was trying to tell me...

Firstly, yacc doesn't appear in Cygwin's setup list of packages (maybe I
should try another mirror).

Since yacc isn't installed, the udunits configure doesn't find it. That
part wasn't the problem - configure carries on. It was when the script
doesn't find the yacc library in LD_YACC (since it's not defined at all)
and asks for an value. Not knowing better, I entered '-ly' being the
suggested value. I now realise -ly is going into the gcc command in the
Makefile - and failing because there is no yacc library to find!
Setting LD_YACC (in the script response or externally) to a null string
cures the problem, and the build goes ok.

(A complication was that perl wasn't installed either and configure was
also asking for a perl-related variable value, which I mis-understood
for yacc as well. I installed Cygwin perl & that got rid of that.
Naturally I then read INSTALL and see that I could have used PERL=""
before configure. Hey Ho.)

udunits now succesfully built for g95 & gfortran. Will have a go at
Intel ifort tomorrow.

FWIW, we've previously built udunits with several compilers on Linux
(ifc, ifort, pgf90, pgf95, NAG, g95, gfortran) two on HP-UX (HP & NAG)
and with efc on an NEC Linux/Itanium.

Thx again & best regards,
Dave

--
David Offiler   Head Satellite Active Sensing Group
Met Office   FitzRoy Road   Exeter   EX1 3PB   United Kingdom

------- End of Original Message