[python #VWG-281083]: Showing jupyter notebooks as rendered pages in GitHub

Hello, and thanks for reaching out!

We at Unidata currently use an application called Nikola
(https://getnikola.com/) to generate our python-training website and then we
push that to our GitHub Pages (automatically, with a deployment service called
Travis.) With this tool we can go through and convert each of our .ipynb
Jupyter notebooks to HTML throughout the site. However, using Jupyter's
nbconvert tool (https://nbconvert.readthedocs.io/en/latest/), you can convert
any of your Jupyter notebooks to HTML or Markdown for presentation on your
website. By default GitHub provides Jekyll to generate your website, which can
support displaying these Markdown files once you convert your notebooks.
Linking to the ipynb files will not display them on the website like on a
repository or through nbviewer.

Here is one potential very short resource demonstrating the technique:
https://briancaffey.github.io/2016/03/14/ipynb-with-jekyll.html

and there are many more available that can point you in a variety of directions
for how you might do this and what this can look like! Please don't hesitate to
reach out if there's any way I can try to help you find more helpful resources
or any other help I can provide along the way. Thanks again for reaching out.

All the best,

Drew

> Dear Unidata python team,
>
> I am trying to learn how to add jupyter notebooks up online as rendered
> documents similar to your example page:
> https://unidata.github.io/python-training/gallery/gallery-home/
>
> I have a main page where I will link examples, but the test link currently
> links to a download of the .ipynb file.
>
> Do you have any advice on how to change my .ipynb files so that they open
> on the GitHub website?  Or perhaps pointers on where to learn about making
> Jupyter webpages within GitHub?

Ticket ID: VWG-281083
Department: Support Python