[netCDF #RQC-556809]: general NetCDF questions

Hello,

Thanks for your question, my apologies for the delay in responding!  The C++
interface is still being developed, and a new release is coming out soon.  The
version numbers you report (4.1.3, 4.3.3.1) seem to refer to the core netCDF-C
library, not the C++ interface.  What sort of performance issues are you
seeing?  NetCDF 4.x uses the hdf5 library for underlying file storage; can you
tell me what version of HDF5 is being used?

If you want to try the latest versions, you can install them manually.  The tar
archives for the source code can be found at the following locations:

* netCDF-C: https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/releases
* netCDF-C++: https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-cxx4/releases

Try the latest versions, and let us know if the performance issues persist.  it
is entirely possible that you are seeing a known bug from an older release of
netCDF, and a newer version will provide better performance.

Thanks!

-Ward
> Hi,
>

> We are trying to understand your NetCDF release system. According to
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/index.jsp, the latest versions
> of NetCDF are:
>

> Java
>
> 5.0.0
>
> 2019-07-29

> 4.7.0
>
> 2019-04-29
>

> Fortran
>
> 4.4.5
>

> C++
>
> 4.3.0
>
> 2013-04-29
>

> The dates come from the Release Notes page:
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/RELEASE_NOTES.html
>

> This seems to suggest that the C++ version is no longer being maintained. Is
> this correct?
>

> We happen to be using the C++ version of course and are having trouble with
> running on CentOS 7. The CentOS 6 version runs fine. Looking at our
> versions:
>

> CentOS 6
>
> 4.1.3
>
> works fine
>

> Cent OS 7
>
> 4.3.3.1
>
> performs poorly
>

> It seems like there was a big performance bug introduced in 4.3.3.1.
>

> And yet, I somehow wonder if we are not interpreting the version numbers
> correctly. Can you point us in the correct direction?

Ticket ID: RQC-556809
Department: Support netCDF