[netCDF #LGB-565434]: NetCDF OGC compliance question

Hello,

The first link from opengeospatial.org is not referring to the netCDF software
itself, but rather the CF metadata conventions which use netCDF as an
underlying data mode/storage format.  So to ask if netCDF, in and of itself, is
OGC compliant is a little misleading.  NetCDF data files which adhere to the
CF-netCDF metadata convention appear to be OGC compliant.   There is nothing
about a netCDF file, however, which enforces OGC compliance.  It depends on the
provenance of the file.

The current draft of the CF conventions refer specifically to netCDF3, I
believe; perhaps the netCDF4 files being referenced adhere to the metadata
conventions, but use the netCDF4 storage format?  I can't say for certain,
unfortunately.

I hope this helps,

-Ward

> Greetings,
>
> I’ve been searching high and low in an attempt to find some consistency in
> terms of NetCDF’s compliance with OGC (Open Geospatial Consortium). The
> official OGC site states that NetCDF OGC compliance is currently only
> applicable to NetCDF3, not NetCDF4 (see
> https://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/netcdf
> <https://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/netcdf>). However, on this site:
> https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/weather/csswx/webservices/
> <https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/weather/csswx/webservices/> , which
> requires data format to comply with OGC standards, it refers to NetCDF4.
>
> Could someone please clarify on whether NetCDF4 is OGC compliant or not?
>
> Thanks,
> -Rong

Ticket ID: LGB-565434
Department: Support netCDF