[McIDAS #TEL-761263]: Fwd: McIDAS download

Hi Barry,

re:
> Please see the email below from Mr. Khaled Ganbour. I am forwarding
> his email to you because it appears that he's trying to download
> Unidata McIDAS, not SSEC McIDAS-X or -V. I say that because he says
> he registered and downloaded IDV and GEMPAK from Unidata; it also
> appears to me that the permission issue he mentions is most likely
> occurring when he's trying to access
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/mcidas/index.jsp
> rather than an SSEC URL.

Mr. Ganbour does not work for or represent an educational institution.
Because of this, our licensing agreement with you (UW/SSEC) does not
allow us to give him access to our distribution of McIDAS.  I sent
Mr. Ganbour and email informing him of our inability to provide
him the software and suggested that he send an email to
address@hidden and request/setup access to SSEC McIDAS.

re:
> If you agree that he's trying to download McIDAS from Unidata,
> please go ahead and reply to him (at address@hidden).

I already did.  Here is what I sent him:

  Unidata's license with the University of Wisconsin (UW) Space Science and
Engineering
  Center (SSEC) allows us to distribute Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD to educational
  institutions only.

  Question:

  - do you work at an educational institution, or are do you want to use
    McIDAS personally?

    Your yahoo.com email address suggests that you do not represent an
    educational institution.

Here is what he provided and my follow-up reply:

  re: what is your affiliation?
  > I am IT engineer, and I have been working at LNMC Libyan National
Meteorological Center.
  > I attended WRF workshop in NCAR/UCAR in 2011

  Since your affiliation is governmental, we are not allowed to give you access
  to the Unidata distribution of McIDAS-X.  If you are still interested in
  using McIDAS-X, you will need to contact UW/SSEC directly.  The best
  email address for this is:

  McIDAS Users Group <address@hidden>

  I'm sorry we can not be of more help.

If SSEC has changed their policy regarding who we may grant access to
Unidata McIDAS-X/XCD to, I will contact Mr. Ganbour and let him know.

re:
> If not, please let me know and I'll contact him.

I think that the ball is in your court...

Ticket ID: TEL-761263
Department: Support McIDAS