[McIDAS #XBX-823999]: McIDAS 2009 install problems

Hi Rick,

re:
> I'm helping out someone in the Engineering department here at the
> University of Wisconsin install McIDAS-X (Red Hat Linux).  Two problems.
>
> 1) When using -g77, mnmx.for is failing to compile.  This issue was
> previously reported here:
>
> McIDAS #WRY-275628
>
> The ticket states that only igtv uses mnmx, but a call to it is also
> found in mapdef.for.
>
> Using -vendor resolves that problem.

I would suggest using gfortran instead of g77.

re:
> 2) ~mcidas/mcidas2009/g2clib/Makefile is not being built correctly.  The
>    CC= line is blank and compiles fail with "-D__64BIT__ command not found"
>
> I manually added gcc and things are compiling.
>
> SHELL=/bin/sh
>
> #  If you want to enable support for PNG or JPEG2000 encoding/decoding,
> #  you must specify -DUSE_PNG and/or -DUSE_JPEG2000 in the DEFS variable
> #  for the C pre-processor
> #  -DUSE_PNG requires libpng.a and libz.a
> #                     ( and png.h pngconf.h zconf.h zlib.h include files).
> #  -DUSE_JPEG2000 requires libjasper.a
> #                     ( and all the jasper/*.h include files).
> #
> #  In addition, INC must include all directories where the above
> #  mentioned include files can be found.
>
> DEFS=-DUSE_JPEG2000
> INC=-I/home/mcidas/mcidas2009/g2clib/../jasper/src/libjasper/include
>
> CC=gcc
> CFLAGS=-D__64BIT__ -O3 $(INC) $(DEFS)
>
> LIB=libgrib2c.a
> ARFLAGS=ruv
>
> all: $(LIB)

The likely solution to both problems encountered is to follow the instructions
for
building Unidata McIDAS-X :-)

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Software -> McIDAS
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas

    Documentation and Training
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/#documentation

      McIDAS user's guide
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/toc.html

Chapter 1 - Installing and Configuring McIDAS-X
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingandConfiguringMcIDAS-X.html

  Installing McIDAS-X on Unix or Mac OS X Workstations

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingMcIDAS-XonUnixorMacOSXWorkstations.html

    Preparing the mcidas Account

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

In the last page, I detail how the user should setup McIDAS-related entries
in their shell-specific information file (e.g., .bash_profile for Bash, etc.):

<while logged in as 'mcidas'>

cd ~mcidas
-- download the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution source file,
   and the 'mcunpack' and 'mcinet2009.sh' scripts

chmod +x mcunpack
export McINST_ROOT=$HOME
./mcunpack

-- edit the .bash_profile (or .bashrc) file and add the following
   defines:

# McINST_ROOT and VENDOR conforming shell defines
# needed to bulid McIDAS
McINST_ROOT=$HOME
VENDOR=-g77
export McINST_ROOT VENDOR

# NOTE: uncomment the next two lines that set MySQL_ROOT if you
#       want to build with MySQL support:
#       - leave the value blank if MySQL is installed in a standard
#         location
#       - specify the value as the root directory of the MySQL
#         installation if MySQL is not instalcd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
makeled in a standard
#         location
# MySQL_ROOT=TRUE
# export MySQL_ROOT

if [ -e $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh ]; then
  . $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh
fi

NB: if you are using the 'gfortran' compiler (you probably should), you need to
change:

VENDOR=-g77

to:

VENDOR=-gfortran

After modifying the shell-specific information file, one should either
"source the file" (e.g. '. .bash_profile') or logoff and log back on.

At this point I recommend:

- undoing any modifications you made to Makefile(s)

- clobbering the old build/build attempt:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
make clobber

- and starting the build from scratch

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
make

Please try this procedure and let me know if it does not work
for your user.

Ticket ID: XBX-823999